For the past couple of months, I have been working nonstop. If it isn’t working on this project gathering requirements, I am writing and blogging. One thing that people forget is to relax and take a break from their life. As with anything, there is always a happy medium between two extremes. You can’t constantly work, but then, you can’t constantly relax. Taking a break is good for regrouping and focusing on the task(s) at hand. Here are some ways to relax:
1. Get a Hobby – If you like to draw, knit, play an instrument, etc., set some time to do those things. It’s a great way to forget about work and enjoy doing the things you like to do during your leisure time.
2. Exercise – Whether it’s walking, running, biking, swimming, etc., it’s always a good idea to do some type of physical activity. I can become a high strung person, so I use exercise to keep my stress levels down. The hardest thing about exercising is starting, so start today. It’s also the time when I get some great ideas floating inside my head.
3. Spa Time – Getting a massage, manicure/pedicure, or getting your hair done helps relax you. You release all tension and have the ability to not be as troubled about things when you are doing spa activities.
4. Spend Time with Loved Ones – Turn off your computer and go spend time with your loved ones. Even if it’s just for an hour coffee break, you should do it. Social interactions are great mental breaks that will help you feel at ease when you get back to the project you are working on.
5. Vacation – If all else fails, go on vacation. Even if it’s a weekend getaway, do it. It will help you mentally break from the constant on-the-go pace that you are currently stuck in.